This workout is performed as a circuit, incorporating plyometrics to help get your heart rate going and ultimately assist you to burn more calories in a shorter period of time.
Begin with a 10 minute warm-up of your choice.
LEG/LOWER BODY CIRCUIT
– Perform each exercise one after the other with little to no rest period in-between.
– Rest 30 to 90 seconds between circuits.
– Repeat the circuit 4 times.
1. Goblet Squats x 15 reps
– Start by standing with your feet slightly wider than hip width apart while holding a weight at your chest with both hands.
– Now brace your core, then drop your butt back and down to lower into a squat while keeping your chest up. As you squat, sit back into your heels without shifting your weight forward onto the balls of your feet. Try to get as deep into the squat as possible (without compromising your form) to maximize glute activation.
– Then, driving through your heels, come back up to a standing position.
2. Jump Squats x 15 reps
– Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, toes slightly turned out.
– Lower your body into a regular squat, then engage your core and jump up explosively.
– When you land, lower your body back down into the squat position to complete one rep – land as gently as possible.
– Use the momentum from landing to go right into your next rep.
3. Reverse Lunge x 20 reps (10 per side)
– Start by standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, hands at your side or clasped out infront of you.
– With your right foot, step back about one and a half times your normal stride length, landing with the ball of that foot on the ground and your heel up.
– Lower the back leg straight down until it gently grazes the ground or close to, creating a 90-degree angle in the front leg.
– Push through the heel and midfoot of the front leg to return to the starting position.
– Repeat on the left side.
4. Jumping Jacks x 40 reps
– Stand with your feet together and arms at your side
– In one motion, jump your feet out to the sides and raise your arms above your head – stay light on your feet, and jump as softly as possible keeping your core engaged at all times.
– Immediately reverse the motion back to starting position
5. Weighted Step-Ups x 20 reps (10 per side)
– Start by standing in front of a step or box of the selected height.
Ensure that you keep your core tight throughout the exercise.
– Hold dumbbells at your sides – choose a weight that is challenging enough but does not effect your form in anyway during the set amount of reps.
– Step up with the right foot, pressing through the heel to straighten your right leg.
– Now bring the left foot to meet your right foot on top of the step
– Bend your left knee and step down with the right foot.
– Bring the left foot down to meet the right foot on the ground.
– Repeat this for a specific number of repetitions, alternating the leg that you step up with.
5. Pulse Squat x 20 reps
– Begin by standing with your feet a little more than hip width apart while bracing your core – ensure that you keep your core tight throughout the exercise
– Lower your body down into a seated position keeping your chest up (the way you would with a normal squat). As you squat, sit back into your heels without shifting your weight forward onto the balls of your feet.
– Now holding that position, pulse a few inches up and down.
Music from: www.bensound.com
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE for more workouts like this one! 🙂